Friday, October 21, 2011

Grand Jury Duty

Today went pretty quick.  Things moved along nicely.  It's nice when I get dropped off at the doors of the courthouse and don't have to make the hike from the parking garage!  And then I arrive and the coffee is ready and waiting for me!


The first case started out and we got to see police chase videos from the police car dash cams.  It's really different when you feel like you are actually sitting there in the car and seeing things for real!  I had to laugh at the detectives, they brought evidence from the crime along with them, most of it has been stored away for a year now.  But they had a time getting some items opened up!  Then, once we saw everything, the DA asked them to leave the room while we discussed things and gave the DA some questions we'd like answered, so there they were, trying to shove everything back into the bags as quickly as they could and get it all back into the box.  


I'm not positive, but I think I have a little crush on the next DA!  He has a great sense of humor and is always in a good mood.  He starts out by thanking us for being there (do we have a choice?) and today he says, it's going to be a long day, he has 12 witnesses so he's thinking about 6 or 7 o'clock.  You could just hear moans and groans from the jurors at that point and he says, just kidding!  It's government employee payday so I want to get out of here in 15 mins.!  LOLOL!  Since he's getting paid today, he should treat us to lunch and he said we could even super size it but we have to order from the dollar menu.  He really was in a hurry!  We got out of there about 1 PM!


The security guards are getting to know us and are a lot of fun.  They try to guess if I'll set off the machine or not and I told them I'm onto their tricks and getting better!  I'm 5 for 5 now (not setting off the machine) and they root for me!  LOL!  I think it's time for me to slip a Pez dispenser into my purse for them to see as my purse goes through the x-ray machine.  I'm thinking of a smiley face dispenser and making a speech bubble that says something on it like Hi Guys!  Or I see you!  I have to give this some thought.  My luck, the day I plan this out, they will be on vacation and I'll get a stick in the mud security guard!  Wouldn't that be embarrassing?


We are also getting to know the other jurors and I'm pleased to say, #1 cranky dude actually came in and smiled and said good morning!  Wow!  I almost fainted.  The "I am so beautiful and into myself" dude lost his parking ticket!  LOLOL!  That was fun to watch.  But a few minutes later, another juror came in and said he found a parking ticket in the elevator.  Darn.  Then, there's the one that I roll my eyes over.  Every time she opens her mouth, I cringe and roll my eyes.  I had to be really careful today because one juror was missing and that put me closer to her.  I don't know how to stop it!  I don't really think it would be acceptable behavior if I covered my ears and went, la, la, la, I'm not listening, really loud.  But it's tempting.  Her questions make me think she watches way too much Law & Order and I get the feeling she takes notes while watching.


That's all folks, have a great weekend!  My next session will be Nov. 4th.

No comments: