Monday, February 18, 2013

New old lamp

A while back, I purchased new living room furniture. 

Since I can't get the hubby to do anything about my 1980's paneling, I decided I'd work that into the look and just go retro.  I gave great thought to shag carpet and bean bag chairs but knew I wouldn't get away with that.  My sofa is pretty plain but I funked up the room with funky chairs.  This is the fabric of the chairs.

Now, I needed either a retro table, my thoughts were something with a Formica top or I need a floor lamp.  I was torn between a fiberglass 2-tier shaded one or a floor to ceiling one.  Plus, it didn't have to be old, just look old and funky.  The colors in my chairs are an ivory background with dark and light brown spots and a little bit of robin's egg blue in them.  I searched hours and hours, days turned into months and even a year.  I could find things I loved but had to turn away from them because of colors.  Most fiberglass shades I was finding were in pinks and greens.

About 6 months ago, a friend tells me she found a shade in her mother's house that she thinks I might like.  She brings it up to me and I just about fell over!  This is what she GAVE me:


This is so perfect, I could not believe it!  Fiberglass, 2-tier and the best colors ever!  They are shown better in the last photo.

Now, I have to find the best floor light stand.  Again, I spent so much time on eBay and Craig's List, was always on the lookout in antique shops, thrift shops and flea markets.  It was another 2 months when my hubby and I went antique shopping and buried behind a ton of stuff, the hubby found the perfect stand.  A clerk patiently dug it out so we could look at it.  It's brass with a marble base, was missing some parts which we weren't sure we could replace but it was definitely the best one we ever saw.  The clerk took it upon herself to call the owner of the booth and ask him if he'd consider a better price.  He came down to $60 on it.  We went home without it to give it some thought, the next day, the hubby stopped back into the store and picked it up.  


Of course, it's surrounded by paint by numbers.  I can change those out with seasons or something fun like that!


I love how it turned out and it was well worth the wait!  Now I have light in the living room again!  Either the hubby gets rid of that paneling or it will just keep getting funkier in there!  I took the handles off the beautiful oak Yield House coffee table and replaced them with faucet knobs in different colors.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
VintageVendor said...

Wow. That turned out wonderful.
Your patience and persistence paid off big!

Doodle said...

Awesome! Sometimes I guess it pays off to wait. Now we just need a far away photo to see the fabric chairs with the new lamp and table! :)

(be careful, maybe hubby likes "funky" and just forgot to tell you. paneling may be staying awhile due to that fact) hehe